Torrington firework supply explodes, one injured

Torrington firefighters battle a blaze that started while the firefighters were loading fireworks for Saturday's Fourth of July celebration.

One firefighter was injured tonight when a firework accidentally discharged while it was being loaded by the Torrington Volunteer Fire Department in preparation for the TVFD’s annual Fourth of July celebration. The discharge caused an explosion that caused heavy damage to the TVFD lower station at Pioneer Park.

According to TVFD Chief Lance Petsch, the firefighter is being examined for a hand injury, and there were no other injuries. Petsch said the department was loading shells as large as four inches in diameter when the firefighter saw one launch.

“As soon as that happened, everybody started bailing out of the building,” he said.

Torrington Police Chief Matt Johnson, who responded to the scene, asked citizens to stay clear of the scene.

“Thank you for all the community concern related to the explosion tonight,” Johnson said. “Thankfully, there were no serious injuries. Crews are working on the investigation right now and we just ask people to avoid the area to minimize safety concerns.”

Stay with the Telegram for more information as it becomes available.

Advertisement


Video News
More In Home