Tigers split with Douglas, get swept by Laramie

Torrington returns to conference play tonight vs. Wheatland

TORRINGTON – The Torrington Tigers senior Legion team went 1-3 over the weekend, splitting with the Douglas Cats on Friday and swept by the ‘AA’ Laramie Rangers on Saturday.

On Friday, the Tigers fell to Douglas 10-5 but rebounded for an 11-0 run-ruled victory in game two.

In game one, the Cats jumped out to a 4-0 lead through three innings before the Tigers finally got on the scoreboard in the fourth.

Torrington had runners in scoring position in the second and third innings but were unable to plate any runs.

In the bottom of fourth, Tristan Kingsley tallied a single and later stole home to put the Tigers.

Douglas added a run in the fifth and four in the sixth.

In the bottom of the sixth, Torrington made a rally attempt, trailing 9-1.

Jackson Jones walked to lead off the frame, Deagan Keith, Caeden Riley and Gage Correa doubled to score a pair. A passed ball trimmed the lead even further, and Cameron Murphy singled to cut the Douglas lead to four.

The Cats promptly made a pitching change, shutting down the Tiger rally, leaving Torrington runners on second and third.

Douglas got a run back in the seventh, but the Tigers were unable to make up any further ground in the final inning.

Kingsley and Riley tallied two hits apiece, and Murphy was tagged with the loss, working 5 1/3 innings, striking out five.

In game two, it was all Torrington.

Nick Sherbeyn led off the home half of the first with a walk. Murphy singled before Kingsley and Keith doubled in back-to-back at-bats to give the Tigers an early 3-0 lead.

Murphy drove in an additional run in the second inning before the Tigers put away Douglas over the next two innings with seven more runs.

Murphy and Keith went 3-for-3 at the plate, combining for four RBIs and four runs scored.

Riley earned the win, striking out six over five innings of work.

The next day, the Tigers were swept by the Laramie Rangers, 12-9 and 19-13 in a five-and-a-half-hour doubleheader.

Torrington grabbed an early 3-1 lead in the first inning, but the Rangers scored five in the top of the second to regain the lead.

Laramie never trailed for the remainder of the game.

The Tigers chipped away at the deficit with runs in the third and fourth innings. In the sixth inning doubles by Gabe Mitchell and Murphy tied the game at 8.

In the top of the seventh, the Rangers regained control of the game with four runs.

In the home half of the inning, Keith, Riley and Ben Firminhac singled adding a run, but the Tigers stranded a pair of runners to close out the game.

Sherbeyn and Murphy collected two hits apiece.

In the second game, Laramie grabbed a 5-1 lead heading to the fifth inning, but things unraveled over the final three innings.

In the end, the Rangers pulled away for a six-run victory. The teams combined for 38 hits and four errors.

Laramie scored seven in the fifth, four in the sixth and three in the sixth, while Torrington countered with four in the fifth, eight in the sixth and none in the seventh, leaving two on base.

Murphy, Keith, Riley and Ben Firminhac paced the Tiger offense with three hits apiece. Starter Sam Firminhac was tagged with the loss, giving up four earned runs over three innings.

The Tigers (14-10 overall and 2-2 in the ‘A’ Southeast Conference) will host Wheatland (6-9 and 0-2) tonight. First pitch of the doubleheader is scheduled for 5 p.m.


Video News
More In Sports