Southeast boys get road win at Moorcroft, falls in OT to Burns

YODER –  It was the tale of two beginnings for the Southeast High School boys’ basketball team over the weekend.

On Friday, the Cyclones got off to a quick start in a 61-50 road win over the Class 2A Moorcroft Wolves, but the team experienced slow start in a 52-49 overtime loss to Class 3A Burns on Saturday at home.

In the win, Southeast raced out to a 10-0 and held a double-digit lead for much of the contest.

“We played pretty well,” Cyclone coach Crockett Herring said. “We executed and played pretty good defense.”

The Southeast lead reached a many as 17 with two minutes to play.

The junior varsity players closed out the game, allowing the Wolves to close the gap in the final moments of the win.

“We didn’t finish like I thought we should,” Herring said. “It was a good win. We did some good things.”

After reaching the 1,000-point mark for his high school career in the second quarter of last week’s game against Niobrara County, Southeast senior Hayden Anderson led the Cyclones with 17 points, while seniors Bodie Herring and Sawyer Anderson added 14 points each. Hayden Anderson, Herring and junior Cord Herring each grabbed 10 rebounds.

The next day, Southeast returned home and spotted the Burns Broncs a 13-2 lead in the first four minutes of the game.

With 4:01 left in the opening quarter, Bodie Herring slowed Burn’s start with his first points of the game, and by the end of the quarter, Southeast trimmed the deficit to 15-12.

“We spotted them 13-2, and then played pretty well for a stretch,” Herring said.

Burns managed to keep the Cyclones at bay until a 3-pointer by sophomore Kyler Clark tied the game at 23 with 3:50 left before halftime.

Two minutes later, Hayden Anderson connected on a triple of his own, giving Southeast its first lead of the game.

Over the final 16 minutes, the teams traded the lead five times.

“That is a big team,” Herring said. “The (Tate) Bishop got hot there middle of the third quarter.”

With 2:26 left left in regulation, Bodie Herring scored off an offensive rebound to tie the game at 42. That proved to be the final points of regulation for either team, forcing an extra four-minute period.

Bodie Herring put the Cyclones back in front in the early seconds of overtime, but Burns responded with a triple to go back in front.

The teams traded the lead three more times over the next three minutes, and the Cyclones missed a number of shots down the stretch, including a half-court shot which would have forced a second overtime in the three-point loss.

“We aren’t going to have Easter at Southeast because we’ve killed all the bunnies,” Herring said. “It’s basketball. Sometimes it just doesn’t go in for you, and it sure dang didn’t go in for us today.”

Bodie Herring and Sawyer Anderson led the Cyclones with 14 points each, while Hayden Anderson and Bodie Herring grabbed 10 rebounds each.

The Cyclones shot 34% (21-of-62) from the floor, including only 4-of-21 for 19% from beyond 3-point range.

Southeast (6-7) is back in action on Friday on the road at Glenrock (2-9 overall and 1-1 2A Southeast Quad). Action gets underway at 7 p.m.



Video News
More In Sports