Sharks net five records, 54 medals in final meet
SIDNEY, Neb. – The Torrington Sharks swim team finished their six-week season on Saturday, bringing five meet records and 54 individual and team relay medals home from Sidney, Nebraska, on July 8, 2023.
Gold Medal Winners:
• Alexis Martin, Marshall Patrick, Taelyn Stokes, Zaelynn Hand: Mixed 8&Under 100-yard Medley Relay, (also a meet record)
• Griffin Wolfe, Madix Mcintosh, Nathaniel Stull, Teryn Stokes: Mixed 15-18 100-yard Medley Relay, 2:10.16
• Nathanial Stull: Mens 15-18 100-yard freestyle, 1:02.56; Mens 15-18 50-yard backstroke, 34.31; Mens 50-yard freestyle, 25.76
• Marshall Patrick: Boys 8 & Under 25-yard butterfly, 28.66; Boys 8 & Under 100-yard individual medley, 2:32.61
• Alexis Martin: Girls 8& Under 25-yard butterfly, 27.20
• Mason Patrick: Boys 9-10 25-yard butterfly, 25.31; Boys 9-10 25-yard backstroke, 22.59; Boys 9-10 100-yard freestyle, 1:29.45 (also a meet record), Boys 9-10 200-yard freestyle, 3:15.50 (also a meet record)
• Lexi Wilkie: Girls 11-12 50-yard backstroke, 43.10
• Maddix Mcintosh: Girls 15-18 50-yard backstroke, 36.77
• Laney Walter: Girls 13-14 200-yard freestyle, 2:54.13; Girls 13-14 100-yard individual medley, 1:30.82
• Taelyn Stokes: Girls 8 & Under 25-yard breaststroke, 30.47; Girls 8& Under 25-yard freestyle, 19.23 (also a meet record)
• Cooper Walter: Boys 9-10 25-yard breaststroke, 23.85 (also a meet record)
• Emily Milner: Girls 9-10 100-yard individual medley, 1:48.29
• Tiffany Krueger: Women 15-18 400-yard freestyle, 5:59.16
“What a year!” Shark head coach Baxter Greenwald said. “I’m proud of everything we’ve accomplished this year and the growth our swimmers showed.”
The Sharks ended their season on July 11 with a family picnic and awards ceremony, followed by a private pool party.
Mason Patrick, Brayea Derby, Trinity Martin and Tiffany Krueger were honored as their age groups’ Swimmer of the Year by the coaches.
The Sharks also honored senior swimmer Kristna Hall for her time on the swim team and the accolades she’s brought to the organization.
“Kristina has always been a quiet leader on the team,” assistant coach Tim Randloph said. “She did anything we asked of her, worked hard, and was always kind and generous to her teammates and competitors. We’ll miss having her as part of our team.”
The Sharks elected new board members to lead the organization for the 2024 year. The new board is Crystal Martin, president; Nicole Jolovich, vice president; Ashley Posten, secretary; Tabitha Wilkie, treasurer; Mandy Patrick, parent liaison; Kim Stokes, computer specialist; and Teresa Milner, media coordinator.
Registration for the 2024 swim season will begin mid-March, with practice starting the last week of May. Swimmers interested in competing for the Sharks are encouraged to follow them on Facebook under "Torrington Sharks Swim Team" and watch for registration announcements in the spring.